Professional Formations2021-05-14T16:54:27-04:00

Should You Have A PLLC or PC?


To learn more, leave your name and number and an attorney will reach out as soon as possible.

Thank you for your request. An attorney will reach out to you shortly.
There was an error trying to send your request. Please try again.

What Makes a Professional Company Different


For Licensed Professionals

PLLCs and PCs are business entities for those with a license or degree in specific fields. This includes health service fields, attorneys, and many others.

Department of Education Approval

The state’s Department of Education must review the business and the license of each owner before it will approve the company for operation.

More Difficult To Form

Because the Department of Education reviews each business, the process takes much longer, around 5-8 weeks. In addition, it has more naming restrictions.

Request A Call With An Attorney Today

To speak to an attorney, leave your phone in the form and a member of our team will call you.

Lowrance Fisher, Partner

Lowrance Fisher, Esq.

Thank you for your request. We will call you shortly.
There was an error trying to send your request. Please try again.

Types of Professions That Need A Professional Company


Health Services

  • Acupuncture
  • ​Athletic Trainer
  • ​Audiology
  • ​Certified Behavior Analyst Assistant
  • ​Chiropractic
  • ​Clinical Laboratory Technician
  • ​Creative Art Therapy
  • ​Cytotechnologist
  • ​Dental/Dentistry
  • ​Dietetics/Nutrition
  • ​Histological Technician
  • ​Licensed Behavior Analyst
  • ​Licensed Clinical Social Work
  • ​Licensed Master Social Work
  • ​Licensed Practical Nursing
  • ​Marriage And Family Therapy
  • ​Massage Therapy
  • ​Medical Physics
  • ​Medicine
  • ​Mental Health Counseling
  • Midwifery
  • ​Nurse Practitioner
  • ​Occupational Therapy
  • ​Occupational Therapy Assistant
  • ​Ophthalmic Dispensing
  • ​Optometry
  • ​Perfusion
  • ​Pharmacy

Health Services (Continued)

  • ​Physical Therapy
  • ​Physical Therapist Assistant
  • Podiatry
  • ​Polysomnographic Technology
  • ​Psychology
  • ​Psychoanalyst
  • ​Registered Physician Assistant
  • ​Registered Professional Nursing
  • ​Registered Specialist Assistant
  • ​Respiratory Therapist
  • ​Respiratory Therapy Technician 
  • ​Speech-Language Pathology

Design Professions

  • Architecture
  • Geology
  • Interior Design
  • Land Surveying
  • Landscape Architecture
  • ​Professional Engineering

Other Professions

  • Attorney
  • Certified Public Accountancy
  • Certified Shorthand Reporting
  • Public Accountancy
  • Veterinary Medicine
  • Veterinary Technology

Do I need a PLLC or PC for my business?

Professionals who we’ve helped form practices for…

5 gold stars


I couldn’t ask for a better team to work with. Very professional and knowledgeable. I would highly recommend Fisher Stone Attorneys to anyone.

Kettia Jean Pierre
5 gold stars


Amazing service. The attorneys were incredibly knowledgeable and professional. Couldn’t have asked for a more seamless and painless legal experience. Highly recommended!

Eric Balsim

Frequently Asked Questions

If you think your business will need a PLLC or PC, check out these frequently asked questions. If you’re ready to speak to an attorney, you can fill out the form and speak to a lawyer. 

What’s the difference between an LLC and a PLLC?2021-05-07T17:07:52-04:00

An LLC is the most popular type of business entity, as it offers pass through taxation and Limited Liability Protection. If you are a licensed professional, you may need a PLLC instead. The reason being, the Department of Education monitors licensed professionals, so when forming a business, the Department of Education requires extra steps and verification before one can practice under their license. Once formed PLLCs and Professional Corporations act exactly the same as normal LLCs and Corporations in their day-to-day operations. For more specific requirements of a PLLC, please contact our office to speak to one of our attorneys.

Am I allowed to practice under a normal Corporation or LLC?2021-05-07T17:09:21-04:00

If you are a licensed professional, you may need a Professional Company instead. We have a running list of professions that need a Professional Company you can check. To be completely certain if you are required to start a PLLC or PC, you should speak to a lawyer. Operating under a normal LLC or PC may put your license in danger of revocation and put you in danger of legal repercussions.

Are there any naming restrictions for PCs and PLLCs?2021-05-07T17:11:18-04:00

Yes, there are the regular naming requirements for Corporations and LLCs that Professional Companies must follow, but the Department of Education also has specific naming rules as well.

How long does the process of forming a professional company take?2021-05-07T17:14:28-04:00

The process usually takes between 5-8 weeks, but that number can vary depending on the Department of Education. Regular LLCs and Corporations can be formed in a single day, while PLLCs and PCs have a much longer process or review.

Have An Attorney Answer Your Questions

Thank you for your message. We will be in touch shortly to discuss forming your business.
There was an error trying to send your message. Please try again.